Tuesday 1 March 2011

Facebook - Useful or Useless?

Since the time KryKey went live in it's Beta state (current version 2.0), we have been on Facebook and posting daily news and encouraging the radio stations to post on the KryKey (fan) page - click here.

It has now been over 12 months and after pouring through the statistics, we have come to the conclusion that Facebook is completely useless. We have even asked other businesses and radio stations that are on there what they have got from it, and it has all been the same answer.

Twitter on the other hand, has been slightly better.

So has all the talk about Facebook just been hype? Is it only good for wasting time and posting the odd photo for friends?

This week Desert One, Global Charts Internet Radio and Classical One are deleting their pages and stopping their presence on Facebook. They have concluded that time spent on other ways of promotion is of more benefit. They are also creating their own web sites which after tests have shown more beneficial to them.

Please leave a comment and tell us what you think and if you have a business or radio station has it been good for you?

1 comment:

  1. Well, I would have to agree that facebook is really not for business. It was created as a social network and not for a business network. The people who are on facebook are there to interact with their friends and don't want to be bothered with all the bands and businesses that are starting to have a stronger presence on the site. I find the more I try to get my show out there the more counter productive it may get. I think having a presence on facebook without relying on it is a good thing. I will keep my page there but will focus my energy elsewhere. I've got a site, twitter and I'm starting to look around to see where else I can promote the show. Any other tips would be great!

    Dan
    www.broadcast514.com

    ReplyDelete